[TowerTalk] cheap hams

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] cheap hams
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:40:16 -0700

I have read and heard this countless times and often in a "bragging" manner!

Is this the image that we hams should be promoting?  Consider this:

1. When we apply for a tower permit, will we be using a cheap and scavenged
tower or parts?
2.  When we attempt to maintain our ham bands with the FCC, are we known as
contributing to the technical capability pool or by
      being cheap and using scavenged parts.
3.  Do we want to known as somewhat professional or tinkerers?

Sure, it is good to recycle (scavenge) and not be wasteful.  Is there a
better name for this that we could improve our public image with?

k7puc