Re: [TowerTalk] cheap hams

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cheap hams
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:09:34 -0700
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:02:11 -0400, Alan NV8A wrote:

>Jim said that there are people who cannot afford to put a beam on a
>properly engineered tower, implying that if you can't afford to put one
>on a properly engineered tower, it's OK to put one a tower that is not
>properly engineered

BS!  YOU implied that, not me.

I stated that many hams don't have big money to spend on ham radio and
must settle for far less than a beam on a tower -- like wires strung
between trees, or between sections of TV mast on a house and garage, or
dropped out the window to whatever tie point is available.

I am sick and tired of (and even disgusted by) the attitude that ham
radio begins and ends with big power and big aluminum on a big tower. I
find it a very limited and sad attitude toward ham radio.

Sure it's nice to have a nice antenna farm, but I've had 51 years of fun
in ham radio with nothing but wires and 100 watt transceivers, and bought
my first amplifier two years ago.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC