Re: [TowerTalk] Q Street Articles .. ??

To: "Julio Peralta" <jperalta@tampabay.rr.com>,"'Mark'" <aa6dx@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Q Street Articles .. ??
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 07:01:55 -0700
From: "Julio Peralta" <jperalta@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "'Mark'" <aa6dx@arrl.net>
Cc: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 5:05 AM

Funny thing about the Maxcom I think they are still being made and sold
to the government.

Julio, W4HY

Yes, despite the fact that the advertising is misleading, the
Maxcom does radiate. In fact, many commercial and
military aircraft use short monopole antennas that use
resistive pads for broadband matching (same concept).
When you do this, you are trading efficiency for bandwidth.
There are other techniques, which give you bandwidth
without the efficiency penalty, but they are generally
more complex. For one military job I worked on, the
company I worked for was building a frequency agile
antenna matching unit using PIN diodes to replace the
lossy pads in a fighter jet monopole antenna. It improved
gain (especially at the low-end of the frequency range),
but it was orders of magnitude more complex and
expensive than a simple padded monopole.