Re: [TowerTalk] RF Quiet Router

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RF Quiet Router
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 13:58:45 -0400

>Looking for a recommendation on a  *RF Quiet Router.

>The Linksys I just installed has  rf in the 2m band and my Icom 2at is
>not happy.

You didn't say if it is wireless or wired network.

First, even with commercial grade equipment it's a crap shoot and it's the
same with computers when it comes to interferrence.

I'm using a D-Link router mixed in with a Link Sys switch and NICs. The
network is a gigabit system running on Cat5e cable. The cable modem, router,
switch, and two computers are within a few feet of the HF rig and the
duoband 144/440 rig. I can set my VX-7RB next to this keyboard or over on
the desk by the radio station and normally not hear the computers. If I move
the HT to the back of the keyboard the squelch will open, so I have to get
within about 3" of the monitor (digital 20" LCD) or about 4" directly above
the computer case to hear it.  I hear nothing from the network.  BTW the
second tower case is 3' to my right and about 3' to the left of the HF rig.
The monitor (19" CRT) sets next to right side of the tower case and the left
side of the Icom PS while the 756 Pro is directly to the right of that.
There are USB and network cables snaked all over the place.

In the shop the tower case is about a foot to the left of the 2-meter rig
(Icom V8000) and about 3' to the left of the Yaesu 897D.  An HT works right
up next to that computer which is at the end of 130' run of Cat5e that
passes within about 10' of the base of the tower. Unfortunately, although
the HT works out there it doesn't hear much as the entire inside of the shop
is finished off with bonded "barn metal" which makes a really good
shield<:-))
BTW the left side is off the tower case out there and it doesn't even bother
the HT sitting next to it.
That system is RF "complicated, as I have a secondary satellite receiver
that plugs into the Digital@nywhere-ATSC card in the computer. That card
also receives off the air (OTA) signals with the antennas being on the tower
with (and close to) the 50, 144, and 440 MHz antennas.

The tower supports The Satellite Dish Network antenna at 15', three center
fed half wave sloping dipoles on 75, a single half slopper (that's not a
misspelling) for 160, one half wave sloper for 40, a 144/440 Diamond
vertical at 45', UHF TV antenna pointed south (directly over the top of the
Diamond),  remote switch for the 160, 75, and 40 at 80 feet (it's coming
down to near the base of the tower), C3i 7L 6-meter yagi on a 28'10" boom at
115' AND finally the stacked pair of 11L 440s and stacked pair of 12L 144s
(C3i) at 130'.

So far, apparently none of the computer stuff, TV stuff, or ham stuff
interacts all on the same tower or in the stations, but I keep my fingers
crossed.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)

Thanks de John KØCQW