Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower MA 550 Windloading - 90MPH?

To: jimlux@earthlink.net, w7ce@curtiss.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower MA 550 Windloading - 90MPH?
From: Aldewey@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:12:06 EDT
In a message dated 9/12/2006 1:00:12 PM Central Standard Time,
jimlux@earthlink.net writes:
I think you've hit the nail on the head.  Local authorities are
imposing "commercial grade" kinds of requirements for the permitting
(if only because it's easy, not to mention, it's legally defensible
in a PRB-1 environment), so you need "commercial grade" stuff. Tall
light posts and free standing cell towers have no problems, but are pricey.

This, to my mind, is a far more insidious trend than the HOA CCR
problem.  Pretty soon, the only hams who will be able to experiment
with towers will be the ones who own acres of farm land in a lightly
regulated jurisdiction.

Jim, W6RMK
Jim and all;

I think you are right.  I thought the hard part would be getting an exemption
form our CCRs.  I was able to do that with not a big problem.  But I spent 30
minutes with the City Building Commission here in Plymouth, Minnesota and he
insisted on 90 MPH Wind Loading, 1/2 radial ice, with the antenna fully
extended (i.e. not nested).  He would not move off this position no matter what
said.  I tried all kind of arguements like precedent installations, aesthetics,
etc. but he would not have any of it.

Not sure what my next move is.

Al, K0AD