Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Remote Control

To: K7LXC@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com, ericksonw@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Remote Control
From: Edward Sylvester <navydude1962@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:20:12 -0700 (PDT)
Amen....It's happened to me.  Not safe unless there is absolutely positive pull
down.  I experienced this nightmare at night and saw the tower sectiones come
crashing down.  Could have lost a limb.....

  In my case, it was a Hygain HG-72HD.  I recovered the tower and recabled it.
Still had the same problem with it getting stuck in the up position.  I
attribute this partially to there being no load on it, as I had not yet
installed the rotor, mast or antenna.

  It's been many years, but I have a second Hygain (same model) that I plan to
install.  Hope I don't experience the same thing.  Anybody have this happen to
them with a Hygain tower?  Any advice??

  Thanks again.

  Ed NI6S

K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 9/14/2006 1:34:05 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

> I have a Tri-Ex LM-470 motorized crank up tower. I would like to be able
remotely control it from my ham shack. The only remote control system that I
have been able to find is the original system that was offered by Tri-Ex. My
concern with that system is that it uses (GASP) vacuum tubes to provide the
delay required when changing directions. Does anyone out there have a
schematic or other information on a more modern design? I have the
facilities to fabricate anything needed, or I would be willing to purchase
an existing system. Any suggestions?

Yeah, don't do it. The only way to insure that a crank-up goes up or
down successfully is to be in the direct vicinity - preferably standing next
to it - watching it as it's moving. Otherwise a cable can snag and the
result can be breaking a haul cable and watching the whole thing crash down.

If you can see it from the shack (what happens at night?), you'll
probably be okay but you still probably aren't close enough to watch
everything.

I've seen a couple of crank-ups where this has happened and it was
just some cable getting hung up producing a major problem.

Cheers,
Steve K7LXC
TOWER TECH
Cell: 206-890-4188