Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Remote Control

To: "Edward Sylvester" <navydude1962@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Remote Control
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:19:55 -0700 (PDT)
Someone posted here a while back that some UST crankups not
only have positive pull down, but also continuous height readout.
I think it was marketed to commercial users who needed to set the
antenna at a specific height as a test.  However, this readout is an
additional check that everything is OK.  (Analogous to rotators that
detect if they are actually rotating,  and if not, they time out).  As
is the case with the rotators, it does not cover every possible failure
mechanism.

You could probably homebrew a height indicator by gluing a magnet on the
winch pulley, and detecting it with a reed switch.  The reed
switch would drive an MFJ screwdriver antenna controller.  You
could even program the MFJ to ten different preset heights.

Another safety device would be a tension indicator on the coax
at the attachment point at the top of the tower.  This tension
should never exceed the weight of the coax plus a small allowance
for friction.

I have tried to imagine some sort of positive pull down for the
coax, but every way I have considered has some drawbacks.

Regarding night work:  you can now get a 30 million candlepower
(that's right 30 million) "flashlight" at Costco for about $25.
I have used one of these at night with binoculars to look at
the coax at the top of my tower.  You can basically see everything just
like in daylight.  This "little" flashlight can also clearly illuminate
my 2 inch diameter vertical antenna 1000 ft away to verify it
hasn't blown down.

Rick  N6RK