Re: [TowerTalk] Tower mast..

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower mast..
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:27:58 -0400
From: "Chuck" <wcmoore@verizon.net>
To: "Merlin-7 KI4ILB" <merlin-7@sc.rr.com>; "AA6DX - Mark" <aa6dx@arrl.net>;
"Mike Rhodes" <weightdn@adelphia.net>; <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 10:22 AM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower mast..

> Grab the kids old bicycles or any off a junk heap to cannibalize the pedal
> sprockets. Have the machine shop mill out the center of one sprocket to
> fit around the mast at window level. Weld the sprocket to the mast. Drill
> two holes in the window base to allow the chain to run through the window.

I had forgotten about this. At one time I had planned on running seperate
rotators with one for HF and one for VHF/UHF using the concentric masts I'm
using now. I have 4 solid racing sprockets and two SS chains which I
purchased new from one of the local bicycle shops for that project.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)
> Take the second bike and cut the sprocket hub off with sections of the
> bike frame still attached so you can use hose tie down clamps to mount to
> a flat surface next to the desk. Attach chain and manually rotate the
> antenna.
>
> Chuck WD4HXG
>
>>From: Merlin-7 KI4ILB <merlin-7@sc.rr.com>
>>Date: 2006/09/18 Mon PM 07:09:33 CDT
>>To: AA6DX - Mark <aa6dx@arrl.net>, Mike Rhodes <weightdn@adelphia.net>,
> TOWERTALK@contesting.com
>>Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower mast..
>
>>I was thinking that a power window motor off of most any car would make a
>>great driver for the rotor. I would just need to find or make the matching
>>gear for the mast.
>> I could also use small SPST momentary contact switches on a the outside
>> of
>>a cog,  wired to leds to indicate direction ( I have hundreds of leds and
>>about 30 of so small SPST's on hand.)
>> I would just have to make me a ring of led's in the shack and wire them
>>the proper LED in the compass ring.
>> I also have some multi lead cable (there has to be 50 wires in this cable
>>that I picked up at an auction, it was in a crate I bought for $5)
>> To tell the truth, it sounds like a fun project.
>>  The only hard part that I can think of is the gear for the mast pole.
>> Ideas?
>> Joe
>> KI4ILB
>>

>>> Joe .. that is part of the fun of Amateur Radio, `spearmintin' and like
>>> that!  In the days of yore, many a ham shack had directional antennas
>>turned
>>> by hand ..  called the  "ARMSTRONG METHOD" .. I have had some like that,
>>> couple as simple as a nylon line looped around the front of a yagi
>>antenna,
>>> with appropriate tie-off points in the wanted directions ... with a
>>> tri-bander or like that, you don't need any north-pointing hoot owls or
>>like
>>> that .. find Polaris, stick a stake that-a-way, and go for it.   Look
>>> for
>>> ancient publications with Armstrong Rotator install hints .. not too
>>> hard
>>> find .. lots of hams had steering wheels with compass points to spin
>>> that
>>> thar aerial!  AND .. you can find bargains on rotators from time to
>>> time,
>>> especially if you are willing to take them apart and get them
>>> functioning
>>> ... not brain surgery, and lots of help available here, and at the
>>> rotator
>>> (or, rotor .. like you had in your `57 Chevvy distributor) repair
>>> places,
>>> they are really swell at providing info, and have parts galore... quite
>>> reasonable to redo as new!
>>> 73  Mark Nelson  -  AA6DX
>>>
>>> mailto: AA6DX@ARRL.NET

>>> problem (just a pain in !$$) as the tower will be right next to my