Re: [TowerTalk] Alfa Spid north centering solution found

To: "Dave AA6YQ" <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Alfa Spid north centering solution found
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 08:15:52 -0700
> DXView will control your Alfa Spid, can be configured to use standard baud
> rates between 300 and 19200, and is free; its available via
> www.dxlabsuite.com .

Yes, I am aware that there are dozens of programs that will
control the Alfa Spid.  There are also many programs that
only speak DCU-1.  Those programs will NOT control the Alfa
Spid AFAIK.  I want to use N8LP's "LP Rotor" because it gives me
real time rotor position AND it links to TRX-Manager.  LP
rotor only speaks DCU-1 and only at 4800 baud.  Therefore,
it will not work with the Spid, AFAIK.  DXView does not
link with TRX-Manager.  I am using TRX-Manager to control
a remote HF base.

The PH command MUST be executed from the front panel of
the Alfa Spid controller from the setup menu.  It is not
an RS-232 command.  (BTW, the PH command is documented
in a general way, but the fact that it must be set at
179 for north centering is not mentioned).

>        Dave, AA6YQ

Rick N6RK