[TowerTalk] Balun on a vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Balun on a vertical
From: "Duncan Lindsay -MSC Valencia-" <duncan@mscvalencia.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:16:09 +0200
Once again, one does not use a balun on a vertical antenna because it is an

un-balanced antenna !! You use a UN-UN or an RF Choke at the feed point.
Balun's  are for balanced-to-unbalanced, antennas & coax !! Or did I forget
something  in Antennas 101 in college ? Willy K3VW

Something I've pondered about a lot recently..

If this is the case (and I believe it is), how should we expect the Titanex
multiband verticals to work? (I'm talking about the models GP 160/10, GP
80/10. etc). They are essentially unbalanced verticals (a vertical element
on one side, radials on the other) which they say can be fed with balanced
feeder up to an ATU.

73 de Duncan EA5ON