[TowerTalk] Tower is FINALLY up!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower is FINALLY up!
From: "Dr M J DiGirolamo" <DrD@2020.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 09:59:36 -0400
    Well, my tower is FINALLY UP.  For those reading this for the first time my
project begun last May when I purchased this 6 yr old tower from the estate of a
SK in Knoxiville, TN.  Since moving it I've been busy preparing a foundation and
a grounding system.  The radial and peripheral grounding system proved to be a
HUGE task.  I had numerous problems with the Cadwelds (Erico has been wonderful
with their support) which caused numerous project delays.

    Finally last Thursday, the crane folks were here.  They swung this nearly
2000# tower up and over the house like it was a piece of balsa wood and set it
over its 11 yard concrete foundation as we inserted the base bolts in place.
Things went real smooth with no complications.  It actually took longer to
remove my old rooftop antenna system than to place this new one.

    Then yesterday I got up enough nerve to put 120vac to it.  Over the next 4
1/2 minutes this baby slowly rose to its full 72' height.  To tell the truth, it
doesn't look all that tall compared to the trees around it.  In fact, some trees
still stand above it.  Once the 17' mast is on top however, it should be the
"new big boy on the block."

    Many of you have already seen most of these photos from my previous post
(Photodocumentary of Tower Project) but if you scroll down near the bottom of
the page you can see the crane in action AND OF COURSE, yesterday's shots of the
tower fully extended!

73,

Mike DiGirolamo, W4XN
Charlottesville, VA