[TowerTalk] Designing A Window Frame Antenna?

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Designing A Window Frame Antenna?
From: kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:48:30 +0500
If you were to choose, or design, a metal window frame
for a fixed window to double as a useful antenna how
would you do it?  Perhaps a 4' x 6' frame.

No expectations of spectacular performance, just a
little redundancy should outside antennas be damaged
during a storm.  Otherwise tied to a scanner or SW
receiver.  We will have a few acres in a non-deed
restricted community, but it would be fun to make
contacts from an "optimized window frame antenna".

Perhaps merely an exercise in theory ... perhaps
something useful in a deed-restricted community.

We live in an all-steel home which keeps RF noise
and desired signals out and traps RF noise and
desired transmissions (e.g. cellphone and HT) inside.
The only RF-porous areas are near doors and windows.

Our next home will be a monolithic.com dome home,
mostly concrete shell with a grounded rebar shell.
A less RF-tight container, but still unfriendly.

If one were to seek out, or design, a window frame
compatible with an HF antenna tuner how might one
best proceed?

My first thought is to use a metal window frame
isolated from the rebar cage.  To increase the
electrical length a metal ribbon could be glued
to the glass.

Has lack of sleep and insufficient coffee addled
me brain?

--

Thanks! & 73,
doc, KD4E