Re: [TowerTalk] Computer RFI

To: "Jim Miller WB5OXQ" <wb5oxq@grandecom.net>,<TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Computer RFI
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:35:35 -0500
Hmmmm... I typed this afternoon and it's still sitting here. Climbing the
tower does that, particularly when I really didn't accomplish any thing up
there.

The most likely culprit is the power supply.  They are switching, they are
CHEAP and they have one of the rattiest waveforms you'll ever see out of a
power supply.  However being the most likely doesn't guarantee that's it.
Another possibility is the video card, monitor, or cable to the monitor. But
as already been said, if unplugging it stops the noise and turning it off
doesn't it *almost* has to be the PS.

If you have the parts it's relatively easy to try by substitution "in *most*
cases.  You can get (maybe borrow) a good quality power supply and just plug
it into the connections where your regular PS plugs in.  On some computers
like mine that can be a challenge. On others it's a five minute job...or
less.

I'm going to make some assumptions here and guess this is less than a 2 Gig
CPU and may have no more than a 40 or 80 gig IDE HD.

Unless you have cash to spare do not purchase a new supply at one of the
"big box" stores.  Although a good place to purchase lots of things computer
parts are not one.  You will pay from two to three times what you'd pay in a
good computer shop.  Power supplies are way over rated.  If your current one
says 350 Watts get a 450 just to be safe.  They are relatively inexpensive
and you should be able to go all the way to 600 or 700 watts and stay under
a $100.  One good sign, but not a guarantee is a PS that has two fans. One
sucking air in from the cabinet and another blowing out the back.  They
don't usually do this with cheap ones.

The problem with taking the computer to a shop is not being able to monitor
the results until its all back together and home.

I have four state of the art computers on a CAT5e (hard wired) gigabit
network. The two computers in here are within 3 feet of the station. On
computer usually has the innards hanging out for one reason or another. One
monitor sits right beside the 756 Pro. In the shop the computer sits right
beside the 144/440 duobander and 2-meter rig. (TM-V7A and V8000) and about 3
feet from the HF rig (Yaesu FT897D)  The only time I hear any of the
computers is when I sit the HT down within less than a foot from the
computer case and it's consistent with all the computers.

>I am getting a lot of interference on the low bands from my pc but from 20
>meters and up there seems to be

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com