Re: [TowerTalk] Masts

To: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Masts
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:48:42 -0800
From: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 5:24 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Masts

> Has anyone successfully put a tribander on a mast at 60 feet or is that
> not possible. I cant afford a tower right now and was going
> to try to make a mast from the poles I have here. These are the type that
> are used for pole fences for pastures, ect.

I don't think they are quite 60ft (more like 45' to 55'), nevertheless
Kurt K7NV has a whole crop of these military masts growing at his
place in Nevada:

http://www.k7nv.com/

They are available from various military surplus outlets. I think they
are made from 6061 aluminum tubing (good strength to weight ratio).
Those steel pipes you have will surely be very heavy, but they may
not be all that strong for all the trouble they will be to handle. Steel
varies all over the map in terms of strength depending on the alloy.