Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding of Amateur Radio installations

To: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera), TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding of Amateur Radio installations
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 09:36:03 -0500
At 09:18 AM 12/8/2006, Phil Camera wrote:
>"Something to bear in mind is that, in general, most jurisdictions don't
>bother enforcing the NEC for amateur radio antennas"
>

>Which actually is too bad because these guidelines are exactly the measures
>one should do for a properly installed safety & lightning prevention grounding
>system.  And every single measure must be in place or else you're leaving an
>entry route for Mother Nature to bite you.
>
>Phil  KB9CRY

Which is fine if your shack is in an optimal location so that you can do
everything by the book, but what if it's on the second floor of an old house?
I attempt a single-point ground in the shack, but it is a long way from earth
ground.  I am not so naive as to believe I'm going to be able to survive a hit
if the cables from my tower are connected.  Is simple disconnection at the
shack entrance up to code?  I don't know, but it's all I have.

73, Pete N4ZR