Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding of Amateur Radio installations

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding of Amateur Radio installations
From: Don Havlicek <n8de@thepoint.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 10:24:51 -0500
My problem, which I have been mulling over for months now, is somewhat
unique.

My electric service is underground, running about 450' from the service
transformer to the polebarn garage in the rear of the property.  At that
point there is a SPG for the electric service, but then the power lines,
again buried, run 70 feet to the house, which is a modular home on
I-beams mounted upon a cement block foundation.  There is NO electrical
ground at the house, but the telephone line, also buried from the
roadside service box [over 200 feet away] has a ground rod driven into
the soil next to the house.
The entrance for the electric line and the telephone service are at the
NE of the house.
My radio room is located near the SW corner of the house, and I will
have all lines [coax, rotor control, etc] running out through a vent
panel in the foundation immediately below the radio room.
What I am considering is adding a SPG for the RF cables, etc., at or
near to the vent panel in the foundation at the feed-through point.
Not sure if having the SPG for RF very distant from the electric service
SPG is inviting problems.  [yes, I know, that's contradictory, as you
cannot have TWO SPGs.]
Any thoughts on this would be invited, as I will be installing all my
towers, radial systems, antennas, etc., in the Spring.
Don
N8DE
Edmore, MI