[TowerTalk] Potential New FCC Tower Construction Threat

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Potential New FCC Tower Construction Threat
From: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:37:36 -0500
Eric, TT:

As I said in my earlier post on this topic, it was
covered 2-3 years ago.   The only definitive study which
was produced indicated the impact of strobe lights on
migrating bird flocks.

Had you read the posted thread, you would have had a
persuasive argument with the USFWS on this aspect of your post:

>The USFWS is estimating between 4 and 50 million bird collisions with
>communications towers each year.  This was a MAJOR issue for Mike, K9AJ and
>myself in negotiating our IOTA NA-178 trip with USFWS last Spring.  We had
>to take down our small Sigma 5 vertical dipole on the Island at sunset due
>to concerns over bird collisions with the teenie weenie horizontal T-bars.

No strobes-no collisions.  Ergo, no reason.  But you were on their turf.

As an engineer and businessman, I have to say that I'd be fired forthwith,
if my best forecast had an error band of >12x on it.  That estimate says
that USFWS has absolutely no idea what the magnitude of the problem is,
or possibly even the nature of the problem.  Also, no differentiation
between
1,000' high midwestern TV towers, and  100' high cell towers.  Might be
interesting to see if we're getting piles of bird carcases around cell
towers.
Bet not.

Definitely off-topic, I can say categorically that my sliding glass doors in
VT
nailed 2 grouse per year.  Mighty tasty, with a bit of butter and rosemary.
I thought we were going to lose a door, when a great snowy owl, with 8'
wingspan,
got confused on a strafing run at my bird feeder population, and failed to
recover
before hitting the glass.

N2EA