Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 13:08:13 -0500 (EST)
Effective January 1, 1006; tower grounding standards in the United States are
specified in ANSI/TIA-222-G-2005.

Section 10.4 states:

Connections between a structure and grounding electroes or connection between
electrodes shall be compatible with the electrodes and be accomplished by leads
no smaller in surface area than 2/0 solid.

Gounding electrodes shall be as a minimum, be equivalent to 5/8 inch diameter,
10 feet long metal rods constructed of copper, copper clad steel, galvanized
steel or stainless steel alloy. The minimum embedment depth of grounding
electrodes shall be 10 feet.  All electrodes must be connected to the
structure, however, all electrodes need not be interconnected

Section A.10.0 Protective Grounding states:
It is intended that the owner or the owner's representative will verify that
total resistance will not exceed 10 ohms based on actual on site soil
conditions.  Additional grounding electrodes may be required.

For guyed masts the default grounding configuration shall be a minimum of three
grounding electrodes installed symetrically around the base of the structure at
a minimum 20 ft spacing and each symetrically connected to the base of the
structure.  A minimum of one grounding electrode shall be installed and
connected at each (guy) anchor.

For self supporting structures, the default grounding configuration shall be a
minimum of six grounding electrodes installed symetrically around the base of
the structure at a minimum of 20 feet spacing.  A mimumum of one lead shall be
connected to each leg for latticed structures and a minimum of thee leads shall
be symetrically connected to the base of pole structures.

73!
Frank
W3LPL