Re: [TowerTalk] Short Beverage??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Short Beverage??
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 11:56:46 -0000
Maybe you had the wrong expectations.  Beverages (with a capital B) are very
inefficient antennas so the signals you receive will always be much weaker
on the Beverage than on a typical transmit dipole or vertical.  The
advantage of the Beverage is that they are horizontally polarized and fairly
directional.  This helps them reject vertically polarized local noise
sources and also noise from off the sides.  So while the desired signal is
much weaker the undesired noise is usually much, much weaker which improves
the snr.  Also, you must test over some period of time in various
conditions.  There are times when the Beverage won't seem to be working at
all because of factors like having the noise coming from the same direction
and distance as the desired signals.  Also I think arrival angle affects
their performance, as well as conditions that favor vertical polarization
over horizontal.  You will also see more improvement if you use one of the
systems that makes them unidirectional instead of bidirectional, since that
reduces the noise pickup by another 3db while keeping the desired signal
intact... that change alone can be much greater than 3db in some areas, like
in New England with a Beverage toward Europe, if its bidirectional it is
also picking up thunderstorm noise and qrm from the states off the back,
make it unidirectional and most of that goes away and you just hear Europe.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net