[TowerTalk] Short Beverage??

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Short Beverage??
From: wa3afs@inav.net
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 22:36:38 -0500
I am new to the beverage world...

I built and installed a 540 foot beverage (about 7 feet above ground in a more
or less straight path among the trees.
I am not pointing at True North!).  Results were less than spectacular.  Maybe
my expectations were too high.  (I am
only comparing with signals coming from the general direction that the beverage
is pointing).

I find that my pair of phased coaxial inverted Ls hear better or at the best
the same as the beverage.

A couple of questions...

1.  Is 540 feet too short?   With a little difficulty I could scrape out
another 100 feet (but the beverage feed line would
be another 100 feet longer).  Would that be any benefit for 160M?  Going beyond
640 feet would likely put the
beverage very close to the power lines which I want to avoid.

2. Do I need an outboard pre-amp?  My ICOM 756 PRO II has built-in pre-amps.

I will be looking at the DX engineering dual direction beverage system and want
to know if I should be content with
using 500 feet of ladder line or is it worth getting the extra and going to 600
to 650 feet?  Any experience with
beverages of similar lengths would be appreciated.

Thanks and 73
    Bruce