[TowerTalk] Effective of ground snow on Antenna radiation pattern

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Effective of ground snow on Antenna radiation pattern
From: "Ken Kinyon" <w7ts@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:10:36 -0700
Is anyone aware of any studies done on the effect of ground snow on the RF
reflectivity of the soil underneath the snow?
It is not usual for the front range of Colorado to have significant snow on the
ground for any significant length of time.
However since  two feet of snow fell shortly before Christmas, We have had at
least another foot and most of it is still here although compacted
significantly.  It is my subjective observation that I an not receiving or
transmitting as well since the snow fell.  Everything looks normal with all the
equipment. Antenna SWR and directivity seem unchanged.  Is it possible that the
snow is absorbing RF that would ordinarily reflect off the ground and combine
with direct radiation, thereby changing the vertical radiation pattern? Another
idea is that the snow is reflecting RF, raising the effective height of the
ground (which I assume is some feet under the actual ground normally), thereby
making my antenna perform as though it were closer to ground.
Yes, cabin fever makes one ponder strange things. ;<)
Thanks and 73,
Ken W7TS
Kenneth E.  Kinyon
34 Princeton Circle