Re: [TowerTalk] Effective of ground snow on Antenna radiationpattern

To: "Mike Harris" <mike.harris@horizon.co.fk>, <w7ts@comcast.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Effective of ground snow on Antenna radiationpattern
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 07:00:32 -0800
At 05:32 AM 1/14/2007, Mike Harris wrote:
>G'day,
>
>| I don't know much about snow properties at HF, but at Ku-band (13.402
>| GHz, to be specific), the dielectric properties change a great deal
>| with temperature and moisture content.  Ice is not particularly lossy
>| or conductive.  Water is very much so.
>

>As far as I am aware snow and ice is transparent to HF.

Especially if it is very cold.

The AMSR-E instrument on Aqua  (now in orbit as part of the "A-train"
of earth observing instruments) is also used to evaluate presence of
ice, but it's a microwave radiometer at frequencies >6 GHz.

The now cancelled Hydros mission was to use an L-band radar (1.26,
1.41 GHz) to examine the surface water, including freeze-thaw,
etc.  The radar backscatter varies some 5-7 dB between frozen and
thawed soil.

A technical paper describing the mission and instrument:
http://hydros.gsfc.nasa.gov/pdf/TGARSHydros.pdf

This paper says that the effect of freeze thaw is greater at L-band
frequencies than at higher frequencies that have been used before.

Jim, W6RMK