Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 EF-140 - Need Info from Users ( Current orPrevi

To: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@darkstar.k4ro.net>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 EF-140 - Need Info from Users ( Current orPrevious )
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:57:47 +0000
Kirk et al:

     Thanks for the pix.  I do have one item to add, though.  I have a Bencher
Skyhawk Yagi on which I have grounded all the parasitic elements to the boom,
to use as a capacitive top hat for my shunt-fed tower on 160M.  The tower works
well on 160M as well as on 80M with a half-sloper wire.

     I shorted the Yagi's parasitics to the boom by attaching a small (3/4 X 5
inches) piece of aluminum flashing (from Home Despot) to the center of each
element with a #10 self-tapping SS screw through the center insulator.  I
connected the other end of the aluminum to the boom with a SS hose clamp that I
taped over with Scotch 88 tape.

     I believe the designer of the Force 12 open-sleeve fed antennas had
written on TowerTalk a few years ago that shorting the parasitics to the boom
would not impair the functioning of the antenna.  Since the Bencher is a
similar open sleeve design, I had assumed the same thing for that Yagi as well,
and it seems to work just fine.

BOTTOM LINE:  One ought to be able to short the outer parasitics of a Bencher
to the boom and load it on 40M (or even 30M, or both) with an Omega match as
shown on your web page.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@darkstar.k4ro.net>