Re: [TowerTalk] [Fwd: Towers Brought Down!]

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Fwd: Towers Brought Down!]
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:20:14 +0000
I use only three guy anchors for my tower, which has four sets of guys. It would seem to me higgly unlikely that a guy anchor would fail, but I have seen it happen.

That's how I acquired my base insulator. A broadcast station had a guy anchor failure, but they had a total of six anchors. One of the anchors for the top sets of guys failed, so the tower broke in half, leaving the bottom half standing. They decided that the remains of the tower were not worth repairing, and opted to replace the whole tower. Since they didn't want to put a brand new tower on a 40 years old base insulator, they replaced the base insulator too, and I acquired the old one for use with my 1/4 WL 160m vertical.

That broadcast tower was only about 250' tall.

I saw the old anchor pier, and noted that the anchor broke off cleanly just about an inch or two out of the concrete. No idea why it failed, or if it was
galvanised.

Don k4kyv

Get Hilary Duff?s homepage with her photos, music, and more. http://www.live.com/?addtemplate=hilary&ocid=T001MSN30A0701