Re: [TowerTalk] Flexible coupler assembly

To: <garyschafer@comcast.net>, <towerTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Flexible coupler assembly
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 21:41:07 -0500
Having worked with vibration damping and torsonial damping on some projects
in another life along time ago when working as an "instrument man"I have the
following comments:

> Just a thought:
> Does a shock absorber in the mast like this really take any stress off the
> rotor gears? The shock absorber will wind up allowing the antenna to twist

Yes, Usually but with some cautions

> further than it would without the shock absorber and have much more
> "travel"

Yes

> when returning in the opposite direction thus increasing the force by
> allowing more travel and the antenna to whip around more than without any
> flexible joint.

Now it gets complicated. The short answer is yes, no, maybe, etc...IOW YMMV.

In this case we are talking the possibility of a low frequency resonance not
high. (Probably with a period of one to 3 seconds. With a long shaft and
coupling this could go to as much as 5 seconds.

We are working with a lossy material (hopefully) which is why we have to be
careful when using along shaft from the rotator at the bottom of the tower
to an antenna system a hundred or more feet up.
The mast is one long torsional bar.  Like any spring it can resonate. Even
though lossy the rubber coupleing can resonate. There is some play in the
rotator that can resonate.  The antennas and antenna system on top have
their own mechanical resonant frequencies.

IF we are lucky EACH resonance will be of a different period and probably
will unless the builder is unlucky enough to have two or more that coincide.
They *could* all cancel out, but that is hoping for a bit much <:-)) It
would be pretty much like writing checks to pay off all your bills based on
the lottery ticket you just purchased and the drawing isn't until tomorrow.

So, it is *possible* that the effect will be an increase of overall force.
It is just as possible that the overall force will decrease.

> The shock absorber works well in a car's drive line as the major force is
> in
> one direction.

We have to remember when working with vibration, or torsional damping that
what works well in one application may be a disaster in others.  These
dampers are designed to work with a specific range of mass and a specific
frequency range. *Generally* the big problems come at the lower frequencies,
but resonance at any frequency could be a problem. That is a "could be", not
"will be". Still, the design frequency limits for the automotive damper are
well above those we should enoucnter on an antenna installation. However
being below the design limit doesn't mean they won't work. OTOH it doesn't
mean they will either.

Yes the damper is lossy, but it will be more lossy at some frequencies than
others.  It may help and it may not.  Systems may survive because of them
and they may survive in spite of them.

There was an aircraft called the BD-5 that used a shaft driven rear
propeller.  It'd take some digging, but there is a good story on the web
about these torsional dampers and how they eventually came up with something
that didn't destroy the aircract structuraly from the engine pulses driving
the prop. Ther problem was very much like that of antennas as the pulses
were at the low frequency end of the range and occurred in both directions.
Of course we are looking at much lower frequencies than they did.

IF and I do emphasize the IF some one has the time, skill, and resources to
install transducers to measure the frequency and amplitude of the
oscillations with and without the dampers in relation to wind speed and
direction (as well as shaft length and specs, antenna mass, and system mass)
it would provide invaluable information and some "real numbers" on which to
base decisions.

There are a lot of factors that determine how much force is generated and
how well devices work to mitigate those forces.

In general, we as hams go by the trial and error method. We try it and if it
works that's fine. Of course we have no numerical information to show us how
well the trial worked or if it even worked. As I said earlier, it could be
the system survived due to the devices and it's also possible they survived
in spite of them.  We really don't know.

So we try and hope for the best.

Good luck,

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com