Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotator connector replacement - trailer-stylevs. A

To: eric@k3na.org
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotator connector replacement - trailer-stylevs. Amphenol Eco-Mate
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 02:09:04 +0000
Eric et al:

     I taped the only outdoor trailer light connector in my system - the one
underneath the rotator base.  I,too, believed that that was a point for water
ingress, so I took precautions.  The other two connectors are in a NEMA 3X
enclosure and inside the shack so water shouldn't be a problem.

     The wires that are molded into the Wireman's trailer light connectors (my
source) are individual #12 or #14 gauge color-coded wires.  I butt-spiced them
onto the main, round rotator cable run at the three connector points.  But I
staggered the lengths of the pigtail wires so I didn't have the splices aside
of each other; rather, each splice begins at the end of the last one.  (PITA.)
When finished with the mechanical splices I wrapped the entire bundle in tape,
although filled shrink wrap would have been better.

     The eight-pin trailer connectors from the Wireman currently cost $8.25 (
http://www.thewireman.com/prodpix6.html .)  I certainly would urge adding tape
to any outdoor connection where they are used.

     Caveat Amateur.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>