[TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing Screws & Fingers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing Screws & Fingers
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:21:19 +0000
If you are putting the second thrust bearing in so it can be run loose and only
tightened when you need to pull the rotor for maintenance that would be O.K.

Excuse me, so you're going to depend on six little screws (three at the top
bearing and three at this second bearing) using friction binding into the mast
material to be strong enough to hold up any mast and the weight of the antennas
up above from slipping down and smashing your hands/fingers?

Not me.  Those bearing screws are only designed to hold the mast in the center
of the bearing, not to keep it from slipping down.

What I do is take up two pieces of uni-strut or angle iron with a large pipe
clamp in the middle and attach these to the mast and extend the ends through
the tower rungs and allow those two to hold up the mast.  Or on another tower I
attach a large mast clamp and use a come-a-long rigged internally to pull up
and hold the mast/antenna assembly.

I wouldn't want to chance what you're planning.

JMHO (and I like my fingers).

Phil  KB9CRY