Re: [TowerTalk] 4 Element Steppir and T2X

To: <k2xx@swva.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 Element Steppir and T2X
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 20:19:35 -0400
I turn a 4 element SteppIR and an OptiBeam OB2-40 on the same mast with a
T2X.

It is a bit much for it.  Occasionally with very high winds that last for
days (you're not far away Joe, you know what its like sometimes here!) the
mast will slip inside the rotator.  I've heard from a reliable source that
that's a first indicator that it may be loaded up too much.

It's been up for 2.5 years now and that's happened 4 times.

The original rotator started acting funky after about a year.  Sometimes it
would stop in the middle of turn, other times it just refused to start at
all, etc.  So, I replaced it last July and this time I've been more careful
not to turn the antennas during very windy periods (I didn't know that that
was something to be avoided with the T2X).

Other than two mast slippages, it has been fine ever since.  Then again, it
hasn't been that long.  I sort of expect to have to replace it again in the
not-to-distant future.  Unfortunately, I don't have many options for
rotators given the size of the tower and how close it is to the thrust
bearing plate.  Lesson learned the hard way :)

73,
Tom, NI1N