[TowerTalk] Tower winch failure

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower winch failure
From: KT2Q <dxdx@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 11:02:44 -0400
All:

Was cranking my US Tower HDX555 up after last
nights ice storm when puff, the Fullton 1550 winch
broke.

I thought there would have been damage to the
tower and antennas, but it came down much slower
than I thought it would; guess it was probably due
to the mechanical drag of the unwinding winch and
caked ice and snow.

The only thing I'm worried about now are those
parts of the tower that stop the inner sections
from slamming into the foundation. It landed in
packed ice and snow at the base when it came down.

Looks like all the bad things are true about the
Fullton 1550 winch; anyone know if the 2550 is a
direct bolt-on for the HDX series? Where can I get
one?

73 Tony KT2Q