Re: [TowerTalk] Mobile antenna for SUV

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mobile antenna for SUV
From: "Dale Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 23:32:47 -0500

> I've been considering running mobile for the first time since 1963.
> Both Rigs and cars have changed a lot since then and not just
> in price.

Roger,

How important is 75m in your mobile operations?

If you can live without it, the Yaesu ATAS-120 antenna system works with the
FT-897.

If you haven't considered it, there are a few plusses associated with it:
1-ability to change bands without stopping; 2-low profile; easy to store in
vehicle.  If you need 75m, then I guess one of the big bug catchers or
screwdrivers is the way to go.  I don't think I could ever go back to an
antenna that I have to stop the vehicle, get out, swap antennas/resonators,
get back in, start the vehicle.

Mostly, though, I like my ATAS-120 because I can drive into the garage
without having to get out, remove the antenna, get in, drive in, get
out...yadda, yadda, yadda...and then do the reverse when I want to go
somewhere.

The mount is mounted to the hatch lip edge about halfway down the side of
the hatch.  The top of the tubular section of the 120 is a little above the
Saturn Vue roofline on 20m and above and extended a few inches higher on 40
and 30m.  When the antenna is tuned for 20m, the whip trips over the edges
of the garage door sections, but stands completely vertical when the garage
door is closed; when tuned for 40m the pictures tell the tale.  I've driven
in and out of the garage for 2 years now with that antenna; no problems --
i.e., no broken whip.

See the pictures(forgive the bike being in the way--I'm out of here for a
couple of days starting tomorrow.):

View looking aft along the Saturn Vue.  The antenna is tuned for 40m.
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u/images/Vue-ATAS120-1.jpg

View if the ATAS-120 and Diamond K400C lip mount
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u/images/Vue-ATAS120-2.jpg

Side view of the mount/antenna setup.
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kgtu/images/Vue-ATAS120-3.jpg

Whatever you choose, have fun and CU on the bands.

73
Dale, kg5u