Re: [TowerTalk] Mobile antenna for SUV

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mobile antenna for SUV
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 08:52:32 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 07:55:40 -0700, "Jim Brown"
 <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

>the body bonding problem causes RF to get into
>the car's computer, and causes SERIOUS problems with the drive train
>(like the SUV won't go over 15 mph).

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

One thing I would try first to fix this is to install a choke type
balun right at the base of the antenna. A mobile antenna is inherently
unbalanced and large RF currents usually flow on the outside of the
coax and can easily get back into the vehicle's electrical system via
that route.

In one installation I had, this issue caused severe "RF in the mike"
problems on 17 meters but the choke fixed it completely. I would
recommend it on all HF mobiles, even if not presently having problems,
just in case.

No guarantee, but a choke balun will eliminate the possibility.

Bill W6WRT