[TowerTalk] Earth Anchors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Earth Anchors
From: N7DF <n7df@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 08:54:55 -0700 (PDT)
Some people have commented about the earth anchors I referred to being cheap,
agricultural quality.

  The holding power of the anchors I mentioned is the important thing and these
are equal in every way to the more expensive ones.  Their paint job is an
agricultural quality enamel designed to hold up in an acidic soil situation
such as would be encountered on a farm.  In the 4 years plus I have used them
there has been no evidence of corrosion, even on some that I dug up after 4
years in the ground.  In fact, my galvanized anchors that I have on some towers
have corroded through the galvanizing at the ground surface and begun to rust.
My soil here is saturated with gypsum and is so corrosive that it will
completely dissolve an aluminum pipe left lying on it within a year.  If there
is any concern about corrosion all you have to do is get a can of roofing tar
and coat the anchor with it before installation.  Actually I have never heard
of an earth anchor that failed because of corrosion.  BTW I always dig a hole
then put the anchor in it and water settle the backfill.  I
 have never lived in a place where it was possible to screw them in.

73 From Number 7 Desert Fox

Remember E equals I x R is not just a good idea.  It is THE LAW