[TowerTalk] US Tower problem

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower problem
From: K5rr@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:25:17 EDT
I have three TX489MDPL towers, which are 7 years old.  From time to  time I
have experienced situations on all of them where the motor stalls when  you try
to raise the tower sections, but everything is OK if you lower the  sections
momentarily and then raise them.  But recently on one of the  towers the motor
stalled when trying to raise or lower the sections.  I was  able to get it
going  after manually turning the pulley on the gear  box.  I got to wondering
about the oil in the gearbox.  It appears to  be ordinary motor oil, by
appearance, anyway, which is not what Hub City  recommends.  I'm planning to
change
it out with Mobil SHC 634 oil.   Has anyone else had this problem and changed
out the gear oil?  Did it do  any good?  I sent an email to US Tower on this
subject, but have received  no reply.

Dick, K5RR