Re: [TowerTalk] w3wkr@verizon.net

To: towertalk@contesting.com, w3wkr@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] w3wkr@verizon.net
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:06:18 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/2007 7:29:38 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I am in the process of replacing my current rotor with a  2800.  I have a
Steppir MonstIR on a 2" mast.
In the  attached note Steve suggests pinning the 2800 mast clamps for
everything  EXCEPT the antenna I have.

>  What would you suggest for the  MonstIR ?

Hi, Byron --

    What I said was "For a 4L SteppIR, you can also  pin the mast.  Pinning
works for
everything except a MonstIR".

    Perhaps I wasn't clear. You can pin it but it  doesn't seem to help. The
MonstIRs I've pinned have broken the thru-bolt.  I used an 1/8" high grade
bolt - you might have better luck with a bigger  one.

    Of course the problem is that you shunt the  forces down the system and
the next thing in line are the gears. And also of  course if you pin the mast,
I'm sure it voids your warranty. OTOH I don't know  personally of any Orion
gear failures.

    Like I said before, your choices are to grind the  Orion clamp to make it
work, get one like the one I sell or get a prop pitch.

Cheers,
Steve   K7LXC
TOWER TECH