Re: [TowerTalk] hinge/base plate

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] hinge/base plate
From: Jim Coe <jcoe@w5ji.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:31:54 -0500
Chris,

You said.......

 >as it "stands" now i have a rohn 20 tower at 40ft when i installed this
 >tower about 10 years ago i didnt use a base plate so she is in 3x3x4 or
 >close to that, in concrete since then i have become a ham and noticed the
 >need for more tower work, what i am wondering is unstack the one cut it
 >flush with the concrete make a hinge plate and bold it down to the existing
 >concrete using heavy duty lag bolts? will this hold? we do not have alot of
 >wind or ice here. i do not have this one guided off no room for it so
 >getting down to it will it hold with out guy wires at a hight of 40ft,
 >bolted down with lag bolts that i will have to drill into the existing
 >concrete?

I'm not sure what you are proposing, but one thought to offer....do not cut
the existing tower legs off flush with the concrete. Cut them off about one
inch above the concrete, have a metal plate fabricated to the size you
need for your new tower, have a welder weld the plate to the leg stubs
and then bolt the new tower to the metal plate. The metal plate can have
holes drilled to fit down over the old leg stubs and then welded. Mounting
stubs for the new tower can be welded to the top of the plate before
it is welded to the leg stubs.

My guess is that the existing leg stubs in the concrete will be much stronger
than expansion bolts (not lag bolts) mounted in holes drilled into
the concrete.

Excuse my answer if I misunderstood your question.

Jim  W5JI