[TowerTalk] Help Please: Need Cable Prep Tool for LMR Ultraflex

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Help Please: Need Cable Prep Tool for LMR Ultraflex
From: "Dr M J DiGirolamo" <DrD@2020.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:58:09 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

   Some background info first.  I have several lengths of LMR-400-Ultraflex
and LMR-600-Ultrflex cable to prepare as a final stage in bringing my tower
project to completion.  After considering the crimp vs non-crimp connector
arguments, I've decided to use the "crimp ferrule" with "solder center
connector" type.  These connectors are the "Times Microwave" TC-400-NMH-D
and TC-600-NMH-D products.  "RF Connectors" makes piston type tool and die
set specifically sized for crimping the ferrule on these connectors.

   Now comes the problem.  Is there a cable prep tool that anyone knows of
specifically for ULTRAFLEX cable or must the connector stripping be done by
hand and razor?  The problem is the jacket used on Ultraflex cable is a soft
rubber type vs. the stiffer plastic vinyl type on the non Ultraflex cable.
The common ST-400EZ and ST-600EZ cable prep tools won't work because the
rubber type jacket bunches up and cannot be shaved clean.  The "Times
Microwave" literature is ambiguous about this but telephone consults with
"Times" has made it clear that they DO NOT provide a tool for their
Ultraflex series cable.  Soooo what, if anything, are you folks using out
there?

   I've even thought about freezing the jacket but have not tried this as
yet.  I may end up machining a tool that allows a razor blade to sink to the
proper depth.

   All comments are welcome.

73,

Mike DiGirolamo, W4XN