[TowerTalk] Balun on LPDA

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Balun on LPDA
From: Greg S <oldlongbeard@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 14:27:13 -0700 (PDT)
Without a lot of knowledge of baluns in between the ears here, I
thought I would raise this question, as I am contemplating it, and
found no good answers in the archives.

I intend on installing an LPDA (KLM) that specs out a FP Impedance of
200 Ohm, and recommends a 4:1 Balun to transform to 50 Ohms for
feeding with Coax. Fine there, I can understand.

My question is: What if I would try to feed it with ladder line/open
wire, with no balun. Is not the antenna a balanced design, somewhat?
In some research, I find the balun is neccessary to prevent skewing
of the pattern. I guess that is due to phasing problems in an
unbalanced design. Just looking at the LPDA manual for the KLM it
seems to be balanced.(?)

Wow, I hope this stirs some interesting discussion, and a clear
answer. Maybe even a "been-there-done-that, got-the-t-shirt" type of
post!

Thanks in advance.....

Greg Schippers, KC8HXO

http://mail.yahoo.com