Re: [TowerTalk] Balun on LPDA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun on LPDA
From: "Peter Voelpel" <df3kv@t-online.de>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 00:07:22 +0200
Hi Greg,

I am using a KLM logperiodic, it´s the model 10-30-7LPA with 7 elements.
Yes, feed impedance is balanced 200 ohms.
The balun does two things: impedance transformation and conversion from
balance to unbalance.
If you feed with open wire you have to convert to unbalanced 50 ohms at the
other end, so using a balun at the feedpoint is preferable.
I did not like the original KLM balun so wound my own on two large ferrit
cores, it is very flat from 6-60MHz.

73
Peter