Re: [TowerTalk] Tree-tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tree-tower
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 07:31:18 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 8 May 2007 12:47:01 EDT, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> I'm looking for opinions on the viability of this solution.  Will  the
>movement of the tree in the wind stress the tower too much or will it  about
>the same amount of movement that a guyed tower would normally  experience in
>a big wind?

The tree will move FAR more than the tower, for two reasons: Wood is
nowhere near as stiff or strong as steel, and the tree has far greater
area to catch the wind. As I said in another reply, I have seen
hundred-foot trees blowing back and forth like stalks of wheat. No
properly installed tower should move by more than a few inches except
in a full-blown hurricane or tornado, in which case both tree and
tower will be history.

Don't even think about it.

Bill W6WRT