Re: [TowerTalk] Tree-tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tree-tower
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 12:47:01 EDT

In a message dated 5/7/2007 1:44:58 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Does anyone know how much horizontal movement is considered  acceptable at
the top of 100' tall Rohn 25G, 45G and 65G towers?  I  don't see any mention
of it in the Rohn catalog.  I know that the tops  move, I just don't know how
much is considered normal.

>   I'm looking for opinions on the viability of this solution.  Will  the
movement of the tree in the wind stress the tower too much or will it  about
the same amount of movement that a guyed tower would normally  experience in
a big wind?  Opinions?  Suggestions?  Am I  thinking a little too far outside
the box?

    Horizontal movement of a guyed tower isn't part  of the typical equation.
Free-standing towers are another thing.

    You'd spend less time, effort and money to just  get a crane in there and
mount the antenna on the tree itself. Apparently the  crane is a problem with
your installation; e.g. no access, can't get close  enough, etc.

    I don't have a big problem with your proposed  tree/tower installation.
With proper brackets it should be just fine.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH