Re: [TowerTalk] GM 9ft Roof Tower is up

To: "larryjspammenot@teleport.com" <larryj@teleport.com>,TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] GM 9ft Roof Tower is up
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:43:13 -0800
I've installed the RT-2632.  It is not a big job, and sounds like you've
already handled the hardest and costliest part by reinforcing the roof where
you intend to install it.  I built the tower on the ground, laying down and
rotating it as required to reach all the parts, and then stood it upright on
the patio.  Pulled it over to the edge of the roof of the house where it was
being installed, then climbed up onto the roof myself and hauled the tower
up there single-handedly.  It's not very heavy but is awkward because of its
height.  To avoid making it heavier than needed during installation, I kept
it "stripped" as described during the installation process, which including
finding the reinforcing beam centers, drilling holes aligned with the foot
brackets, and ultimately attaching the tower to the roof.

Once so attached, I climbed it several times (using a climbing belt/harness)
to re-check bolt tightness, check levelness of the rotator plate, etc.
Then, I pulled two of the leg bolts and laid the tower over on the roof,
supporting it a few feet above the roof at the far end using a saw horse.
With the tower laid over, I installed the rotator and mast, wired up the
rotator and then tilted the affair back up and bolted it into position.

Installed the beam and coax after it was "up."  Without any guys, an HF beam
will just slide up the side of the tower easily and is a cinch to install
anything you can support.

Whole job including installing rotator, beam, control cable, coax took maybe
two hours.

I think it's a pleasure to work on.  In the case of the installation
discussed here, after everything was installed, I did guy the tower to guy
anchors installed near the corners of the roof (4 positions in a square
pattern) because the installation was on top of a house nearly on a cliff
overlooking the ocean, very windy location.  In a "calmer" location, the
guys probably wouldn't be required.

WB2WIK/6