Re: [TowerTalk] step away from SteppIR

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] step away from SteppIR
From: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 14:04:16 -0400
> tony k2vi, wrote:

> this is exactaley why i would never use a stepir.problems have to crop
> up.maybe in 6 months or 6 years.i will stay with any yagi and not have to
> ever worry about failure.that is unless your rich and own a crane.lets
> face it they dont work any better or worse than a conventional antenna
> with the same footprint.

We can agree to disagree, Tony.  My 3 el steppIR outperformed anything I
ever had on a 16' boom, by a significant margin.

While it IS true that anything with moving parts will eventually need
repair,
I was pleased with the steppIR results.  Held up well in two VT winters.
I will admit that I didn't have it up long enough to have done a life-cycle
test.
However, it has been up in NJ, with the next owner, for 3 years now,
and so far, no problems.

Not have to worry about any failure?  A4S trap fails.  KT34A (3 of those)...
similar trap problems, over time.  Tennadyne T8 lpda...no fails, except for
the maple tree wiping it out when it fell.

Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances.

n2ea