Re: [TowerTalk] Tower design question

To: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>,"'K4SAV'" <RadioIR@charter.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower design question
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 01:37:19 -0400
Maybe that is why I've seen so many Aluminum towers up here in the frozen
north that have split legs from water getting in and freezing. I never
noticed them to have this type of joint though and can't imagine why they
would do so.

It's near 1:30 AM, but I had to go out to the shop and check an old Aluminum
tower I have stacked up near the north wall.  Sure enough it too is
"backwards".  I never paid any attention to it as I'd never put it together.
It's a single bolt type, but I have no idea as to who made it. It has solid
aluminum rods/braces welded in place that look like the diagonal braces on a
25G.  I have planned on putting it up as a 40 or possibly shortened 75 meter
vertical. (some day?)  48' plus some aluminum tubing to get close to a 1/4
wave on 75... maybe stuck out in the NW corner of the back yard  (out of
sight). It should do a good job of loading up the trees and the nearest home
in that direction has been empty for some time.

Learn something new every day including what I've had in he shop for the
last two years. <:-))
I still can't imagine why they would build them that way though.  Any
engineers who can think of a good structural reason for doing so?

73

Roger (K8RI)