[TowerTalk] Water entry in Rohn tripods

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Water entry in Rohn tripods
From: Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <faunt@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 12:34:21 -0400 (EDT)
My antenna farm is mostly on the peaked roof of my 2-story house, and
I use Rohn tripods next to the gutters for several antennas.

I installed another one in the past few days, so my 80M wire can do a
dogleg to avoid conflicts with the moveable antennas on the roof, and
in modifying it discovered a surprise.

I cut off one leg of the tripod, moving the mounting bracket on the
inner, upper, shorter leg so the antenna is vertical.  I'd been
storing this particular tripod next to the house, vertically, outside,
and when I cut it a good quantity of water poured out.

Rohn tripods have the ends of the tubes swaged flat and the brackets
riveted there.  But it's clear that they can and do trap water.
I'm going to drill weep holes in all the tripod legs that are stock, and
would suggest that any other users of these tripods do the same,
preferably before they're installed.

73, doug