[TowerTalk] Restoring a Tristao CZ-454 Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Restoring a Tristao CZ-454 Tower
From: Neil & Heather Goodell <neil.goodell@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 19:12:38 -0400
I recently acquired a Tristao CZ-454 54' crankup tower for the price of
just removing it from the property. I was surprised at the condition of
the tower considering how old it is,solid with no rust.There is however
one problem with the tower,the top section has a very noticeable twist
to it,about the top 2' of the section,my guess would be from overloading
or wrong mast.I am wondering what action others would take,try to
straighten the section or cut it off ?? The problem I have is, I don't
see how I can straighten it without heat, therefore weakening it even
worse.Welding & grinding ect. is not a problem ,as I have done all my
own work for years.But this will be the first time I have done any work
on a tower, and want to make sure it is done right and doesn't
compromise the integrity of the tower's ratings.I would also like to
take the tower apart,as I will be recabling it any ways,It looks to me
as if there are 2 small  rounded metal rivets through a  metal dowel
that would allow me to pull the section apart,but like most
things,tearing it apart might be easy, What would be the recommended way
of putting it back together? Where to get replacement pins, should I
weld them, ect ?
Considering the cost of the tower to me,and it came with a brand new
winch, I would feel foolish to not at least try  to get it repaired and
put up with a small yagi, like a  TA-33 or something.Welcome to any and
all suggestions, thanks
73 Neil
AE1P