Re: [TowerTalk] Restoring a Tristao CZ-454 Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Restoring a Tristao CZ-454 Tower
From: Neil & Heather Goodell <neil.goodell@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:37:36 -0400
Thanks Norm for info,hadn't even thought about using a section of rohn,makes a
lot of sense,I will research that more.
Before I do any cutting, I will try to take the twist out as best I can, I have
no plans of even coming close to overloading the tower, so if I can get it
somewhat straight, I might just live with it.
A question for everyone else who might be following this thread, after closer
examination, the pins on the tubes holding the pulley sections seems to be some
sort of a knurled pin with a round head, about a 1/4" X 1/2" in diameter.With a
bit of persuasion and a pair of vise-grips, I was able to pull one out.Any idea
where to even start looking for something like that?? I have already tried
Mcmaster-Carr,nothing close.
Thanks again Norm on the Rohn tip, appreciated.
Neil
AE1P

Neil,
When dealing with crank-up towers you have to remember the various sections
move as a "system".  This means if you shorten a section, that new length
determines the extended length of each other movable section.  The reason is
the
lifting cable for that short section must also be shorten correspondingly.
That then limits the travel.  To be safe you would have to adjust the "lift" of
the first section as though it were shorter (a limit switch can do this).  I
would "rebuild" the top twisted section by looking into substituting Rohn 25,
welded to the original Trisato  top section "bottom end" and maintain the
correct overall length.  You may have to reform the preceding section top
guides to
accommodate the substitute structure.

Regards,
Norm W4QN