Re: [TowerTalk] Whats the best free standing Tower for a SteppIR

To: W4LDE-Ron <w4lde@cfl.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Whats the best free standing Tower for a SteppIR
From: Tom Anderson <WW5L@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 11:17:31 -0500
Ron:

I use A TriEX W51 crank up, now made by Tashjian Towers (Karl Tashjian)
is a former TriEx engineer, and am very happy with it as are my
neighbors hi hi.  Its 50 feet, but at times I wish I had a 70 foot
crankup hi hi.

I highly recommend Tashjian Towers.  In fact Karl wet stamped my W51
calcs in 1992 when he was with TriEx.  If you get the W51 (I think Karl
kept the same model#, I'd ask him for a Fulton 2550 winch instead of the
supplied 1550 winch.  The 2550 is much easier to crank and has a higher
rated lifting capacity and as far as I know it bolts right to the W51.
If not, I'm sure Karl would drill the proper holes for it on the side of
the tower plate.

Another thing I did was to order an extra base in case I should ever
move from my current QTH and the new owner is not a ham.  This way I
could sell the tower with a "new" base for the new owner to put in the
ground.

I installed my W51 in a 4x4x6 foot hole and used a concrete mix similar
to that spec'ed for interstate highway bridges.  After nearly 15 years,
not a problem.

Also I have no financial interest in Tashjian Towers.

Also I've worked every major DXpedition from here with the exception of
BS7H.  I have a Tennadyne T-10 log periodic along with a Cushcraft
2m/440 vertical on top.  At 10 sq ft. the Tennadyne is at the max sg. ft
the W51 is rated for.

73 de Tom, WW5L