Re: [TowerTalk] antennas

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antennas
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 17:54:57 -0700

>I DO remember all those Gotham ads. But, curiously, I never actually
> >talked to anybody who actually was using one. Even in the 1950s, >Gotham
>prices seemed impossibly low. I always wondered if they >worked and how
>well they were constructed? And if nobody bought >them, how did the company
>pay for all those QST and CQ magazine ads?
> Jim W8ZR

Hi Jim

Well, back in the late 60's or early 70's I bought a Gotham quad for $27.50
plus shipping.  It had the aluminum spreaders and of course now now with
modeling and all, everyone says that won't work, but I worked a whole heck
of a lot of DX with it.  Made me feel like the king of the band :-)

Had it sitting on top of a Radio Shack mast that I paid $5.00 for at a
garage sale. Turned it with a Radio Shack rotor.   Would it beat a new
monobander??  Heck no, but it sure did a heck of a bang up job for me till a
windstorm blew it and the mast into the next county.  I had a TH-3 up for a
while and that was about the worst antenna I ever had.  Tore it apart and
built some 2 element monobanders out of it.  73
Tom W7WHY