Re: [TowerTalk] Woodpeckers and Antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <k3nd@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Woodpeckers and Antennas
From: "Reicher, James" <JReicher@hrblock.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:06:31 -0500
Great thread, so far :)

About 20 years ago, I moved to a house in a semi-rural lake community
(600 acres of water), surrounded on 3 sides by woods.  Because of the
lake and spending lots of time in the yard, many residents installed an
outdoor telephone bell, to let them easily here the phone ringing.

Upon moving in, and being completely unencumbered by HOAs and CC&Rs, I
immediately put up a tower, supported by a house bracket, just outside
my bedroom.

One morning, I awoke to the sound of a telephone bell.  I reached for
the phone, picked up the receiver and heard a dial tone.  Yet, the bell
kept ringing. Then, with my head still foggy from sleep, it hit me...
this house had no such outdoor ringer.

I went outside to investigate.

I kept hearing the "phone" ring, then I got around to the tower.  There
was a Flicker woodpecker, pounding away at the leg of my Rohn 25G.
Apparently he thought it was pretty tasty because he kept waking me up
about the same time every morning for 3 months.

73 de N8AU, Jim in Raymore, MO

Light travels faster than sound...  This is why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.