Re: [TowerTalk] Tilting tower query

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tilting tower query
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:48:02 -0700 (PDT)
The "falling derrick" and the Rohn foldover (that Roger describes)
are different concepts.  I have owned both.  The Rohn foldover is
better in a confined location.  If you have the space, the falling
derrick is more robust mechanically.  The critical difference is
that the foldover puts a lot of bending moment on the lever arm.
The falling derrick puts only axial stress on the derrick.  This
makes it much stronger as long as you can avoid buckling.

Rick N6RK